Pledge 28 – Amsterdam
- City: Amsterdam
On 7 April 2020, Amsterdam became the twenty-eighth city to sign a pledge to the EU Pillar of Social Rights. Marjolein Moorman, Deputy Mayor signed a strong pledge to principle 1 “Education and lifelong learning”.
On vocational education, Amsterdam is committed to:
- Invest €16.356.000 (2019-2023) to develop new educational content and forms of education to teach the students the skills that are needed on the Amsterdam labour market.
- Reinforce the cooperation with the business community.
- The overall program’s objective is to reach out 27,000 young people (with a special attention to the most vulnerable) and 3,000 teachers.
Regarding adult education, Amsterdam is committed to:
- Set up a policy framework ‘A Language Offense’ (2019-2022) to increase literacy in the Dutch language and digital skills of its citizens.
- In each of the years 2019-2022 the city invests €10,7 million euros and expects to reach around 5,000 people with professional courses and 560 with additional language practice with volunteers.
Deputy Mayor Marjolein Moorman stated: ‘‘Everyone has the right to quality and inclusive education, training and life-long learning in order to maintain and acquire skills that enable them to participate fully in society and manage successfully transitions in the labour market.”