Pledge 49 – Athens
- City: Athens
Then, on 14 September 2020, Athens signed a pledge to principle 19 of the European Pillar of Social Rights, reaffirming its commitment to housing and assistance for the homeless. Athens:
- Delivered 5,036 food and medicine packages at home during lockdown, and provided 8,236 packages were provided at the centre. This was coordinated by its Reception and Solidarity Centre (KYADA)
- Has initiated two new programmes to support 480 families affected by the Covid-19 pandemic. Basic food and hygiene supplies will be provided and families will receive psychosocial support.
- Created the ‘City of Athens Multipurpose Homeless Centre’ to accommodate homeless people during the pandemic. The city also has a permanent accommodation centre that offers psychosocial assistance and support for labour-market integration.
- Opened an accommodation centre for homeless people with drug addictions, which currently houses 90 people who receive counselling, detoxification programmes and psychosocial support.
- Will open a Social Pathology- Surgical Clinic, a Social Mental Health Clinic and a Social Dental Clinic to reach the most vulnerable.
City Councillor and President of KYADA Grigoris Leon said: “The right to proper housing is an inalienable right for all people and an absolute prerequisite for social cohesion”.