Pledge 7A – Barcelona
- City: Barcelona
- Name: Laia Ortiz
- Position: Deputy mayor of Barcelona
- Intro: A stronger social Europe is only possible if all people are guaranteed the right to adequate housing and a life in dignity with adequate minimum income
- Country: Spain
On minimum income, Barcelona is committed to:
- Invest €17 million (co-funded with €5 million from the EU programme of Urban Innovative Actions) to pilot a minimum income scheme in one of its most deprived areas (Eix Besos) combined with active labour market policies to help 1,000 households get out of poverty by the end of 2019.
- Invest €150 million from the municipal budget to implement the Barcelona Neighbourhoods Plan in 2016-2019 by combining urban regeneration with social programmes in 16 most deprived neighbourhoods.
- Invest €15 million (co-funded from ERDF programme) in a Sustainable and Integrated Urban Development Strategy for the Eix Besos area in 2016-2019 to reduce socio-economic inequalities.
- Leading the URBInclusion network with a partnership of 9 European cities to co-create social policies fighting poverty and reinforcing social cohesion in deprived urban areas.
Deputy Mayor Laia Ortiz stated: ‘‘A stronger social Europe is only possible if all people are guaranteed the right to adequate housing and a life in dignity with adequate minimum income. We need to find solutions to guarantee affordable housing from the local, regional, national and EU level”.