- City: Birmingham
- Country: United Kingdom
- Location: 52.4894|-1.8985
On 8 October 2019, Birmingham became the 25th city to sign a pledge to the European Pillar of Social Rights. The Leader of the City Council, Ian Ward, signed a strong commitment to principle 19 on housing and assistance for the homeless.
To ensure appropriate housing solutions, the city of Birmingham committed to work with partners aiming at: :
• Managing and financing the “Housing First pilot” of £9,6 million over 3 years (2018-2020) helping respectively 274 people in Birmingham and 617 in the region who are rough sleeping off the street to stable settle in housing.
• Putting in place joint multi-partners local prevention delivery plans to maximize the prevention of rough sleeping and homelessness.
• Reducing the use of B&B as temporary accommodation by 50% in 2019/2020.
• Delivering 700 new affordable rented homes in 2019/2020 and 35% of affordable houses in the period 2011-2031.
Birmingham’s Councillor, Ian Ward said: “the priority is to provide permanent accommodation for our most vulnerable residents and to offer wrap around support that allows people to maintain their homes and move forward positively with their lives”.