- City: Zaragoza
- Country: Spain
- Population: 674997
- Location: 41.649693|-0.887712
On 16 September 2020, Zaragoza joined the EUROCITIES campaign stating its commitment to the European Pillar of Social Rights. Mayor Jorge Azcón Navarro signed a pledge to principle 19 (EPSR) on housing and assistance for the homeless, and to principle 18 (EPSR) on long-term care.
To address one of the most extreme forms of poverty in their city, Zaragoza has developed a Municipal Strategy for the Social Inclusion of People at Risk of Exclusion and Slum Eradication (2014-2020), as well as an Integral Plan for Homeless People (2018). Zaragoza has implemented:
- A Municipal Homelessness Programme, including shelters and temporary accommodation units.
- A ‘Programme for Social Help for Non-Adequate Housing and Elimination of Slums’.
Zaragoza is a member of the WHO Global Network for Age-Friendly Cities and Communities, which reflects its commitment to long-term care. The city:
- Established a specialised Municipal Office for the Elderly, in charge of the coordination, implementation and assessment of services for active ageing and the prevention of dependency.
- Coordinates the network of municipal centres for the elderly, aimed at fostering socialisation and active participation in the municipality. These centres offer a wide range of services, including legal guidance and leisure activities to more than 66,000 people.
- Provides care services such as home help service, home remote assistance and a daily home food service.
Jorge Azcón Navarro, Mayor of Zaragoza, said: “The Zaragoza City Council has among its priorities to give an answer to the different social needs of its population”.